From the Ellison Farm, est. 1891
to The Combes Family Inn, est. 1978
THE ELLISON FARM
In the late 1800s, the Ellisons began accumulating property on the northeast side of Lake Rescue for a farm that would eventually total more than 125 acres. The Ellison Farm supplied Ludlow and surrounding towns with milk from its cows and untold gallons of maple syrup from its sugar maple. Generations of Ellisons worked the farm. As all good things come to an end, the farm was sold to Marge and Ross Johnston in 1961.
THE COMBES FAMILY INN
In 1976, Ruth, Bill, and Nancy (Bill's sister) began their search for a country inn. They were looking for a quiet place away from the hectic pace of Merrimack, NH and Long Island, NY, for an inn and a place to raise their family of three children ages 9, 10, and 11. What they found was an old farmhouse with uneven floors, walls with holes, and inches of peeling wallpaper.
What they created, with tender loving care and much hard work, is the Combes Family Inn, a place for family and friends to get away from it all and enjoy the homey ambiance, good food, friendly hosts, and spectacular scenery. The Inn offers a quiet, relaxing respite for couples, families, and friends by comfortably accommodating between 20 and 35 guests.